Faster cycles and lighter parts are achieved with StackTeck’s new application for Five Piece Collapsing Core for high volume jars.
This technology enables the molding of creative packaging solutions, including 360 degrees of internal threads or undercuts as well as containers or closures with smaller neck diameters than the core or body (e.g., cosmetics or food jars). These capabilities enable the injection molding of part designs that would traditionally have been molded via injection-blow or extrusion-blow methods for wide mouth jars.
According to Javier Fernandez, CEO at Industrias FC, S.A. de C.V., Mexico: “We were assigned a project for high volume applications with a well known cosmetics firm while competing with other companies that offered the same manufactured part using a traditional injection blow mould. We were able to offer a high quality, eficient and low cost solution. The 5 piece collapsing core technology enabled us to produce low weight parts with higher cavitation moulds, all with a 10 second cycle time versus lower cavitation and 18 second cycle time that the traditional injection blow molding offered. We were very pleased with StackTeck’s support and expertise, right from the product development stage to the design and manufacturing of the mold”.
Some of the advantages of the collapsing core technology are:
- 5 piece collapsing core design enables the molding of a continuous, 360 degree undercut in the plastic part design
- 5 piece collapsing core can also be used for continuous, internal threads on closures and containers with neck diameters smaller than the body
- Robust design does not rely on frictional force to collapse
- Substantial part weight savings
- All collapsing core components are water cooled
- Dramatic cycle time improvement